1 or 2 Cotechino Sausages (approx. 1.5kg)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 Onions chopped finely
1 Green cooking apple peeled and chopped
200grams of bacon diced
1 Cabbage sliced (remove core and hard stems)
0.5 cup of white wine
3 tablespoons of white vinegar
10 Juniper berries
1 sprig of sage
1 tablespoon of brown sugar Freshly ground pepper Salt
1. Wrap the cotechino in a tea-towel, place in a large pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer very slowly for 1-11/4 hours. Remove sausage from the pot and allow to cool in the tea-towel. When cooled remove the skin from the sausage.
3. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil and saut√ onions, apple and bacon until soft. Add cabbage and continue to cook until the cabbage has wilted.
4. Add wine, vinegar, juniper berries, sage, sugar, pepper and stir well. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
5. Just before serving, taste for salt. Slice and add the cotechino. Simmer gently for a further 15 minutes. (Serves 6)